Your EditText is null. You first need to find that EditText in your
hierarchy by using findViewById:

txtModbox = findViewById(R.id.txtModbox);
txtModbox.setVisibility(View.GONE);

--
Romain Guy
Android framework engineer

provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on public
forums, where I and others can see and answer them