The apps that come in the Android source code are not built using the
SDK. They are built using the Android platform (e.g. the make files)
and may or may not be using internal APIs which are not part of the
SDK.

Questions on building the platform should go to
http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform.

HTH
R/