It did not work for me either when I used the update site. And I do
not have a classic but the WTP version of Ganymede.
In the end I downloaded the archive from
http://developer.android.com/sdk/adt_download.html
and I installed from a local archive.
This worked without problems. Would be nice if the SDK had an eclipse
directory with this ZIP archive inside.