Jason wrote:
> The service is picking up GPS locations; and sending to the server.
> Hence it needs to stay awake -- the server is tracking locations of the
> user on the web.

Keeping the service alive all the time is very bad for the battery. I
provide an analysis of this here:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/msg/36bf61dfb78ef4cc

In your case, it will be substantially worse, as you are keeping the GPS
radio on all the time. If a G1 lasts 8 hours in that state, I'd be
impressed.

I also cover the fallacy of keeping services alive all the time in a
recent blog post:

http://www.androidguys.com/2009/09/09/diamonds-are-forever-services-are-not/

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)