You're mixing a few things:
- the id of a view (i.e. R.id.calculate_id) is just that: an
identifier that lets you *find* the object in question.
- you can't assign to that id, it's just a constant integer

Instead you should do:
- find the view based on the id:
    EditText myEditField = (EditText) findViewById(R.id.calculate_id);

- use some of the EditText methods to change the text:
   http://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/EditText.html
e.g:
  myEditField.setText("42");

I *strongly* suggest you get an introductory book on Android or look
at some of the samples under SDK/platform-1.6/samples/

HTH
R/