So well,

yess, people preffer using intents because it is much easier! but the
google barcodescanner must be installed, otherwise you have to handle
the exeptions (when you start the intent put it into a try and if it
does not work let a dialog pop up or so...)
and yesss, something you should know about intents, sometimes it
doesn't handle the orientation changes right!
ok, i just found out, that the emulator does not support the android
market, so what you can do is look in some filesharing sites and
download the apk and then upload it to some website, and then install
it via the webbrowser onto your emulator. thats the only thing, i
could think of.

to your problem of the barcode scanner, it is going to be hard to get
that to work....
isn't there something black and white, when you start the camera on
the emulator? couldn't you maybee just change that picture to a
barcode one?
but i have now idea how you would do that...

sorry if i couldn't help you as much as you would prefer...

regards
joe