I've got a example with a TextView and EditView where I do this
successfully.
See
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/View.html#setVisibility(int)that
is where View.VISIBLE is defined.
Just noticed View.GONE.  that could be helpful.

Define TextView and EditText:
    TextView adminLabel;
    EditText admin;

Assign from Layout:
        adminLabel = (TextView)findViewById(R.id.AdminLabel);
        admin = (EditText)findViewById(R.id.Admin);

Set to invisible:
        admin.setVisibility(View.INVISIBLE);
        adminLabel.setVisibility(View.INVISIBLE);

Set to visible:
    admin.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);
    adminLabel.setVisibility(View.VISIBLE);

--