Yeah - works like a charm!
Thanks, Justin!

Here the code snippets for others to reuse:

public class ProjectList extends ExpandableListActivity
        implements AdapterView.OnItemSelectedListener

    @Override
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

        ExpandableListView listView = getExpandableListView() ;
        listView.setOnItemSelectedListener(this) ;
    }

    //-- Callback when an (group) item is selected in the list
    public void onItemSelected(AdapterView<?> arg0, View arg1, int
arg2, long arg3) {
        Log.d( Constants.LOG_TAG, "onItemSelected()" );
    }

    //-- Callback when nothing is selected in the list
    public void onNothingSelected(AdapterView<?> arg0) {
        Log.d( Constants.LOG_TAG, "onNothingSelected()" );
    }