I'm trying to understand how users will upgrade their firmware without
losing their application data.

I'm assuming that system.img and userdata.img will be replaced during
a firmware upgrade (both files are generated when building the Android
source code--among others). My understanding is that system.img is r/
o, so no user data would be lost, however userdata.img is r/w, and
contains any application data the user may have saved. Simply
overwriting this file with a newer release would destroy all the
user's application data (right?)

I've RTFM and STFW for details on how this is supposed to work. I'm
only finding adb commands and other hacker-level instructions.

Thanks in advance.

-Mr. INTJ