Starting with Android 1.5 SDK, the SDK isn't tied to a specific
version of Android anymore.

Instead the SDK is a combo of the following components:
- The tools (DDMS, adb, etc..)
- The documentation
- One, or more, platforms, ie you could have 1.1, 1.5, and 1.6 in your
SDK (and any platforms we release in the future)
- add-ons (for instance of the Google API add-on which exists for 1.5 and 1.6).

This requires a recent ADT, to deal with the change in the SDK structure.

>From there, whenever you create a new project you must select what a
platform you want to compile for, and when launching an emulator you
can target which platform to run as well by creating AVDs
(http://d.android.com/guide/developing/tools/avd.html).
You could defintively have in the same workspace  1.1 projects
alongside 1.5 and 1.6 projects (or even projects targeting add-ons).

If you are still using the original 1.1 SDK, I _highly_ recommend that
you download the latest SDK* and add 1.1 support to it via the SDK
updater (http://d.android.com/guide/developing/updating-sdk.html)

* the latest SDK is called "Android 1.6 SDK" but it's a misnomer
really. It's just that it's the one that introduces the 1.6 component
to the SDK. It can actually support 1.5 (which is in fact
pre-packaged) and 1.1 (available as a separate download, see doc about
SDK updater). We will probably straighten out how we name SDKs in the
near future.

Xav

--
Xavier Ducrohet