I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere, so if someone could
take a crack at it or point me in the right direction, I would
appreciate it.

I have the Google Ion (the phone handed out at the Google IO
Developer's Conference), but I have no idea how to upgrade the OS to
1.6.  The HTC support website has some information on how to do it and
the necessary files, but the instructions are way above my head (I
don't know where to input a command line, how to bootload, or
anything).  I got this as a gift and really want to upgrade it to 1.6
so any help would be appreciated.  Anybody have time this weekend to
provide an Android for Dummies type of explanation?  Thanks!

~Gene