If you want to use Wifi as radio interface you have the option to

+ setup a client/server infrastructure
+ or use the IP broadcast address

In a client/server setup the server would be the central component
which keeps track of your clients within the wireless LAN. You would
have to implement registration/unregistration. Also a mechanism has to
be implemented whether clients are still alive.

In case of you are using a broadcast IP address, a device could
broadcast a "Hello I am alive" message in your wireless LAN. Each
device which is listening on the broadcast address would receive the
message and would know about the presence of the new device. You could
think of to add to this message the local IP address of the device.
Other devices could use the IP address for direct communication (of
course going over the AP).

--
Roman Baumgaertner
Sr. SW Engineer-OSDC