shawn,

you do not have to define your layout in XML. you are free to build it
up your android layout view programmatically, if you so wish. as a side
note, if you are doing any sort of development, on any platform, you
will be hard pressed to avoid XML. that's just a fact so don't kill the
messenger.

what XML is good at is providing an easily parsable machine
communication mechanism. a lot of what you say is true, but only because
XML is being misused. the ADT plugin provides GUI wrappers around most
(all?) of the XML you need to write, but of course the plugin is lacking
so you quickly get to a point where you need to get into the XML.

good luck.