@afarrell:  I agree - thanks for posting this explanation.  I was
running through O'Reilly's "Android Application Development" book and
had tried a couple different versions of Eclipse, with no luck.
Finally I found this post and followed your explanations.  The install
process took a while, but worked like a charm.  My trusty "Hello
Android" application is working!

Thanks!