I'm learning Android quickly but I'm still very much a newbie.  Once
I'm up to speed, I have a project in mind that I'd like to try with my
new Droid.  I want to interface it with a robot.

I'm brand new to Android development, though I've been doing
electronics for some time now. One of the recent trends in hobby
robotics is adding wireless control, often using Bluetooth as a
wireless serial communication medium.

Does anyone out there know if I can use the Motorola Droid's onboard
Bluetooth capabilities (or any Android phone for that matter) to
communicate with a home-brew Bluetooth device?  That is, can I
manually roll my own serial protocol using the existing Bluetooth
framework?

I know it's a weird question but hey - I'm a weird guy.

Thanks for any and all ideas!