It's valuable to work on both phones.  Who knows - it could end up
getting you a nice job!

But, I would start with Android first, for two main reasons:

1. Android does really well with the Java platform, and it's much more
forgiving than Objective C (iPhone's language).  You can always
develop native C modules for Android as well if that's your thing.
2. Publishing application on the iPhone store is really cumbersome.
Google breaks all the barriers here.

Hope that helps.

Richard Schilling
Mobile Operating Systems Engineer