Poldie wrote:
> I've read that Android doesn't use Java; instead, you write in Java
> syntax but the code is compiled into a different VM's bytecode
> format.  Fine, assuming this is true, but which version of Java
> syntax?  I understand that Java 1.5 has generics; 1.6 has annotations
> etc - is there a cut-off point?

http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html

"JDK 5 or JDK 6 (JRE alone is not sufficient)"

> Do I get sensible warnings if I try
> and use stuff that's not supported, or will it happy compile but then
> fail at runtime?

If it compiles from source with JDK 5 or JDK 6, it should work without
issue on Android when that code is cross-compiled into Dalvik VM
bytecodes by the rest of the build chain. Hence, the only warnings you
will typically see come from the JDK javac compiler.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in US: 14-18 June 2010: http://bignerdranch.com