First, whatever is playing the music should run as a service and not as an
activity...  I would probably create a NowPlayingService and a
NowPlayingActivity.

Activities don't run in the background.  When they are no longer visible
they are paused by the OS.  Services are allowed to run in the background
and that is exactly how the built-in music player on Android works.  It has
a service in the background that actually plays the music.

You can find more about this here:
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html#servlife

If you are already doing that then I'm not sure offhand what the problem is
exactly.  You may need to provide more details unless someone else has any
idea...

There are only 10 types of people in the world...
Those who know binary and those who don't.