On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM, tripy <tsch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would be using a layout as a dialog, I'd understand. But I'm not using
> this. Though I'll try, for the experiment.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

> I am using the android.app.ProgressDialog class.
>  http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/ProgressDialog.html

Yes, and one way to show a ProgressDialog (or any dialog for that matter) is
to use Activity.show(int id) where id represents the dialog you want to
show. If you do this the life of the dialog will be managed by the Activity,
simplifying things like orientation change with a dialog shown.

> Both the static method ProgressDialog.show(Context  context, CharSequence
>  title, CharSequence  message, boolean indeterminate, boolean
> cancelable) and creating a new ProgressDialog()Context and calling .show()
> result in the same.
>
> That's what I don't understand.

I noticed that when you call your inProgress function, you're replacing the
class variable each time. So if you do inProgress twice in a row your new
dialog will replace the previous one and you lose your handle to dismiss the
first one you showed. This might be your problem.

Try initializing the progress dialog up front in onCreate and then in
inProgress just update the properties on it by using it's setter functions
(setTitle, setMessage).