He is already using Eclipse. The problem is that when he relies on
Eclipse to create the folder, it fails. He has to recreate it manually
everytime he executes Project>Clean Project.

It sounds like something is wrong with the Ant script Eclipse has
built for the project, but based on the evidence here, it is hard to
be more specific.