Thanks for this inspiring contribtion.

I have just ran in to the same problem with a HTC Hero Android 1.5
By using android:layout_width="fill_parent", the screen does only take
approximately half of the width of the screen while the rest is black.

So, does it mean that I have to dictate the width in inches/mm to fill
the entire width of the screen, or are there other ways to do?

Thank you for your help
ckloch