   MM> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Jake Colman <col...@ppllc.com> wrote:
   >> For this widget to work it must be regularly checking the time and
   >> the calendar since at any minute it might be time to display the
   >> next appointment.  Does this mean I have to update the widget's
   >> display every minute?  Clearly not, but how else?

   MM> Update the display when the data changes. That will occur at the
   MM> earlier of:

   MM> -- when the time for the previous event passed, so you would need to
   MM> show the next event
   MM> -- when the Google Calendar GData APIs tell you there is a new event
   MM> that is earlier than the one you are presently showing

   >> But do we only
   >> update if the screen is active?

   MM> Ideally, no, you update when the data changes.

Mark and Kostya,

Thanks for your (amazingly quick) replies.

So I guess the best approach would be to set an alarm to trigger at the
time of the next appointment so that I wake up and get the next time to
display.  That makes sense and limits the number of times that I wake up
to do an update.

But let's say the appwidget displays the amount of time remaining until
the next appointment.  Since that data changes all the time, how does
one structure the widget update in that instance?

--
Jake Colman -- Android Tinkerer