I have noticed this behavior even with the default thumb.  What I did
was, instead of using the whole seek bar, only use 90% of it.  If the
thumb position is < 5%, then set it at 5%.  Likewise, if it's > 95%,
set it to 95%, so basically the thumb will go from 5% to 95%.  Yes,
the seek bar becomes a little smaller as a result, but it looks
better, and is more usable, IMO.

Depending on the size of your custom thumb image, you may need to
change the 5% and 95% numbers.