Jake,

PendingIntents are not limited to launching activites. When a PendingIntent fires, it just fires - the results of it firing depend on how the PI was created.

If it's a broadcast event, it can be handled anywhere, and depends on where / how a handler for this broadcast event is defined.

The easiest thing is to add a handler for this event to your AppWidgetProvider, this can be done in the manifest (since AWP is a BroadcastListener). Then, if building an widget update is not instant, use a Service to built it.

-- Kostya