Quick and dirty, number of mins difference between 2 Date objects
(note this can be negative) ...

long minsDifference(Date testDate)
{
  Date dateNow = new Date();
  return (testDate.getTime() - dateNow.getTime()) / 1000;
}

There are lots of issues and corner cases with Dates and timezones so
be very careful.

Hope this helps

/Richard