Here's a class that i use in one of my apps to detect if a package is
installed when my service starts up.  You should be able to modify this to
suit your needs.

public class AppDetector {
protected boolean isAppInstalledFromService(Service parent, String uri) {
 PackageManager pm = parent.getPackageManager();
 boolean installed = false;
 try {
 pm.getPackageInfo(uri, PackageManager.GET_ACTIVITIES);
 installed = true;
 } catch (PackageManager.NameNotFoundException e) {
 installed = false;
 }
 return installed;
}
}

To call it:
AppDetector detect = new AppDetector();
Boolean isInstalled = detect.isAppInstalledFromService(this, "
com.your.package.name");

//Nick

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Justin Anderson <janderson....@gmail.com>wrote:

> Use the PackageManager class:
>
> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/PackageManager.html

> There are only 10 types of people in the world...
> Those who know binary and those who don't.
>

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Jake Colman <col...@ppllc.com> wrote:
>

>> When my user clicks on my AppWidget, I want to launch either my own
>> provided activity or an activity from a different app if that app is
>> installed.  My own activity is a stripped down version of the
>> information that can be displayed by that other application.  If that
>> other application is available, I'd prefer to launch it in instead of my
>> own.  I may include this as a preference option and allow the user to
>> decide which activity to launch.
>>
>> How can I check whether a specific app is installed before attempting to
>> launch it (or before including it in my preferences) and only launch my
>> own activity if that app is not available?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ...Jake
>>
>> --
>> Jake Colman -- Android Tinkerer