I have had no problems reading messages from Log.* via logcat from either
the emulator or my phone connected via USB.

Are you perhaps filtering out your own log messages with the logcat command?
 Probably not since you said it works on the emulator.

One more obvious point: make sure "USB Debugging" is enabled in
Settings->Applications->Development