Which branch is this? This works fine on master for me.

`mma` should work, but running `m -j out/target/common/obj/JAVA_
LIBRARIES/metrics-helper-lib_intermediates/link_type` once should fix this
particular error (there may be more behind this though).

I wouldn't expect `mma` to take 10x as long if you're compiling the same
things -- with nothing to compile (ran them twice), `mm` takes 6 seconds on
my machine, while `mma` takes 9 seconds. `mm` will take less time if you've
touched a makefile, but `mma` will share those results with a regular `m`
build, so you're reading makefiles less often.

All of those times are still longer than we'd like (especially since `mm`
used to be faster), but many of the improvements I'm looking at would
improve both `mm` and `mma`, so as the speeds improve, `mm` may just become
an alias of `mma` so that we don't run into inconsistencies like this. It's
also possible that your `mma` times are significantly longer than mine -- a
bit over half of my time increase came from ninja loading, which gets
longer with a larger build graph, but can't really go too crazy. The other
significant section is determining whether to re-read the Android.mk files,
and if any Android.mk files you've added are making use of the $(shell)
command, those can significantly affect these times. That's responsible for
a full second of the 3 second increase, and any extra $(shell) users will
linearly add their runtime to that -- it's easy to add another few seconds
accidentally.

I've posted some build performance debugging tips to
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/build/soong/+/master/docs/perf.md

- Dan

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Jeffrey Blattman <
jeffrey.blatt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ninja: error:
> 'out/target/common/obj/JAVA_LIBRARIES/metrics-helper-lib_intermediates/link_type',
> needed by 'out/target/common/obj/APPS/SystemUITests_intermediates/link_type',
> missing and no known rule to make it
> 12:11:45 ninja failed with: exit status 1
> make: *** [run_soong_ui] Error 1
> make: Leaving directory `/media/jeff/data/src/clover/kpine'
>
> This is after a full build. Only "mma" works, which you can imagine is a
> major pain as it takes 10x as long. Note that "mm" fails even after "mma"
> completed successfully prior.
>
> --
> --
>
> ---