We don't maintain the -darwin group -- in general, if you have a manifest
that hasn't been carefully stripped down, you may need to specify
ALLOW_MISSING_DEPENDENCIES=true, but that may only push the error until
later in the build process (and won't work in this case).

In this case, it looks like the change in behavior was due to this soong
change:
https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/build/soong/+/920955
(the parent change is the implementation). We're now adding dependencies to
all the referenced modules, even if they're in target: { darwin: { ... } }
blocks that will never be used in the current build. While that can be a
good thing (you're less likely to cause an instant build failure on Mac due
to a typo), it is a problem for these types of use cases.

I've filed a public bug to track this:
https://issuetracker.google.com/128377112

Thanks for the report,
Dan

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:35 PM Yongqin Liu <yongqin....@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi, All
>
> With the latest AOSP master source, if I repo init with '-darwin' group
> excluded on my Ubuntu host,
>
> then I will got my following errors reported:
>
> FAILED: out/soong/build.ninja
> out/soong/.bootstrap/bin/soong_build -t -l
> out/.module_paths/Android.bp.list -b out/soong -n out -d
> out/soong/build.ninja.d -globFile out/soong/.bootstrap/build-globs.ninja -o
> out/soong/build.ninja Android.bp
> error: prebuilts/clang/host/linux-x86/Android.bp:585:1: "libLLVM_host"
> depends on undefined module "libLLVM_darwin"
> error: prebuilts/clang/host/linux-x86/Android.bp:619:1: "libc++abi_host"
> depends on undefined module "libc++abi_darwin"
> error: prebuilts/clang/host/linux-x86/Android.bp:595:1:
> "libclang_cxx_host" depends on undefined module "libclang_cxx_darwin"
> error: prebuilts/clang/host/linux-x86/Android.bp:605:1: "libc++_host"
> depends on undefined module "libc++_darwin"
> ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
> 23:14:17 soong bootstrap failed with: exit status 1
>

> I found that libLLVM_darwin module is defined in project of
> prebuilts/clang/host/darwin-x86/,
> but does those modules defined in prebuilts/clang/host/linux-x86 really
> depends on the modules defined in prebuilts/clang/host/darwin-x86?
> and it worked before(one week ago?) without
> prebuilts/clang/host/darwin-x86 repo synced.
> Could  anyone please help to check on that?
>
> Thanks,
> Yongqin Liu
>
> --
> --