It's easy to use prebuilt tools from the source directory (or built tools)
from your own rules that need them, either just refer to them by name, or
you may be able to set up your own directory to be added to PATH inside a
rule:

https://android.googlesource.com/device/ti/beagle-x15/+/7001c965a5d6792c04fd94838161cd6116c605cf/uboot.mk#151
https://android.googlesource.com/device/ti/beagle-x15/+/7001c965a5d6792c04fd94838161cd6116c605cf/hostcc#

We're not going to add an extension that allows modifying the environment
of every build command -- that causes problems with the attempts to build
common system images that aren't influenced by the device. The common build
commands should not need anything except our standard tools -- if you've
modified them, it should be easy enough to also add the dependency to the
new tools as well.

On tools:

   - We've deprecated GCC during Android builds, we recommend clang for
   compilation.
   - We do have prebuilts of `make` and some other common tools in
   prebuilts/build-tools/linux-x86/bin
   - ccache is not something that we provide anymore -- we've found it's
   generally better to use incremental builds, as ccache can slow down your
   builds with extra I/O, and incremental builds should have relatively few
   cache hits (unless you're sharing the ccache dir; which runs into even more
   I/O issues).
   - Perl is not something supported at Google, so we don't provide that
   either -- we do have built in support for python and the ability to use
   python packages from the source tree (or checked in as a prebuilt, when
   using embedded_launcher, it's a self-contained binary):

https://ci.android.com/builds/submitted/5527387/linux/latest/python.html#python_binary_host

- Dan

---
"Android Building" group.