What is your pre-build-script.sh script doing? Right now, since it has no
dependencies and no output files, you're essentially running it on every
build, even when the user is only trying to compile a single file in a
different section of the tree. That's deprecated since it has a huge
performance impact.

Generally, if this is something that takes inputs and produces output
files, you may be able to use a genrule. But without knowing anything about
what this script is doing, I can't help much more than that.

- Dan