It can still be the quickest way to download the least data to get an
initial tree. But you do lose all the history, uploads tend not to work
well, nor do cherry-picks, and the next download is quite possibly bigger
(even if it doesn't fail and you've got to remove and re-download that
project from scratch).

Git and repo are starting to support a "partial clone" feature that should
be an improvement over --depth, in that you still get all the history, you
just don't need to download all the files until you actually need them.
There are cases where it's still slower, though depending on your download
speed, it may not be too bad:

https://git-scm.com/docs/partial-clone
repo init --partial-clone -u
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest -b ...

You probably want to make sure that your git client is up to date, I know
there's been active work to make this better (but I'm not following it too
closely).

- Dan