We've recently updated our documentation around conditionals (and most use
of make variables fall into the same category):

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/build/soong/+/master/README.md#how-do-i-write-conditionals

tl;dr: we'd prefer you didn't use them, but if you need to, you can via a
Go plugin.

- Dan