I have completed by AOSP build on a 4 core 8GB machine with the following
specs:

Ryzen 3 3300u, 1TB HDD, 8GB Dual channel RAM.
Usable is 5.81G when fully booted into Kubuntu 20.04 (no apps running)

1) FIrst enable the zram on you system and reboot: sudo apt install
zram-config.

2) Default swapfile size is 2G. Its barely sufficient for the initial
soong_ui phase.  Just scraped through. It should be increased to least 4GB.
If you have the swapfile on SSD or  can move it to an SSD then its even
better.

(For sure this phase takes a lot of RAM (~12G) and lots of disk IO. It will
take more time than normal as there is lots of swapping)

3)  Still in case the soong_ui phase does not get through then you can try
to reduce  reduce the number of jobs say m -j3 or m -j2.

4) The next phase is just compilation and other stuff that is not RAM
intensive but mainly CPU and some Disk I/O. You can speed up this phase
slightly by using tmfs for the /tmp folder.

5) The last phase is the documentation where Java is used and for this no
amount of swap space will help and the system will crash for sure. We have
the use the solution provided here and restart the make with just 1 job (m
-j1)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60468693/java-outofmemoryerror-when-building-aosp-10/60474592#60474592

export _JAVA_OPTIONS="-Xmx4g"

You can try to use m-j2 but it seemed fast enough with m -j1 and less
pressure on RAM.

Other resources are: 110GB disk space after checkout and 170GB after build.