> -g default,tools

The "tools" group in the manifest is unrelated to building these SDK tools,
so that shouldn't be necessary (though all of the "tools" grouped projects
are also in "default" currently, so it really shouldn't change anything
either).

> LOCAL_MULTILIB=64 USE_NINJA=false

LOCAL_MULTILIB doesn't do anything on the command line, and ninja has been
the only way to build for several releases now, so you can drop these. Just
`m aapt` should work fine.

> Running into error after error attempting a build leads me to believe I'm
not doing this right.

I think I just fixed this particular error with
https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/build/+/1760965 this
afternoon, so if you sync or cherry-pick that change, your command should
work. Building the actual SDK zip files on AOSP is still broken, and I'm
working on refactoring those so that you don't need to build a system image
in order to build the platform/build-tools zips.

- Dan