But if he's trying to use the CursorAdapter, is that even possible?
The constructor needs an id of a layout xml file.

I was going to say to create a layout xml that was basically just an
empty container (maybe a LinearLayout) and then add child views into
that programmatically, but it looks like the layout needs to have all
the views in it that are referenced by the "to" array. Perhaps there's
a way to extend SimpleCursorAdapter to dynamically add the views
before the to array is referenced.