Yes...you read this post's title correctly.  The iPhone SDK lacks the
basic mapping API required by application developers hoping to tie the
mobile experience to a geo-specific location.  The only mapping
function provided by the iPhone SDK is to send a URL to the iPhone's
built-in Google map application and to let Google handle the rest.

I learned this while researching the iPhone SDK in comparison to the
Android OS.  I wanted to determine how difficult it would be to port
Pocket Journey to the iPhone.  As it turns out, the port could never
happen as it couldn't for the majority of the apps submitted to the
Android Challenge.

If you want, you can read more about this discovery here:
blog.pocketjourney.com.

Cheers,
Biosopher