without having looked at snake, that's probably got to do with the "Activity Lifecycle" described in
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/app/Activity.html
There's also a good description of architecture fundamentals on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBGfUs9mQYY&feature=PlayList&p=D7C64411AF40DEA5&index=0&playnext=1

vitvikt wrote:
Hi, all

Can anybody say, for what purpose in Snake example saveState() used?
Before this function we can read:
/**
     * Save game state so that the user does not lose anything
     * if the game process is killed while we are in the
     * background.
     *
     * @return a Bundle with this view's state
     */
But we can define this variables as static.
When and for what purposes we have to use this technique?
Why it is better, than define static variables?
Thank’s
vitvikt