Hi all,

I need to evaluate Gtalk as p2p communication protocol for future development.
I read the documentation and did some basic GTalk applications

From the info I collected I have the following questions:

1.       Every GTalk application shall need a valid gmail account to be able to
communicate with other applications. Is this right?

2.       Every GTalk application shall send text data with
IChatSession.sendTextMessage() or generic data in the form of Intents with
IChatSession.sendDataMessage() or IGTalkSession.sendDataMessage() . What is the
difference (if any) between the two ways?

3.       Data sent with IChatSession.sendDataMessage() or
IGTalkSession.sendDataMessage() shall be retrieved defining an IntentReceiver
as broadcast intent. Is that the only way to do it? If so, I'm not able to
retrieve info as the sender identity... do I need to manage this on my own, or
there's a way to retrieve some more data when receiving the intent?

4.       Is the Android GTalk implementation the same of the GTalk client or
not? Moreover, could you provide some reference about the protocol used by
android to send data?

5.       Is it possible to make test with GTalk API without contacting the
google server? I mean, is there a way I could install a gTalk server in my LAN
and override the default GTalk API behavior to use it instead of Google's?

That's pretty all,

Thanks a lot for your answers!

My best regards,

Stefano