In wrote a "CountDownView"-class (derived from View)
and in my 'main'-Activity I do:

CountDownView myCountDown= new CountDownView(this);
setContentView(myCountDown);

The "CountDownView"-class of course has an onDraw()-method, which I
use to draw all sorts of stuff onto its canvas, like Text and a Circle

How can I add a Button or other Widgets to this CountDownView - either
from within the class itself or from within the 'main'-Activity?

the question can also be formulated the other way around:

If I use instead a XML-defined UI via
setContentView(R.layout.whatever) in my 'main'-Activity - how can I
then draw stuff onto its canvas?