On further investigation ...I found that
MediaMetadataRetriever.captureFrame() does not work and will be removed from
the future SDK.
It requires special permissions  which are not available to user apps. Sorry
for the confusion!

The other MediaMetaDataRetriever apis will still work...only captureFrame()
won't.