Hey,
I appreciate the prompt reply. Unfortunately I'm having trouble making
complete sense of your instructions. I admit I'm new to Java and
Android (though I'm very experienced in C#.NET so I'm picking it up
pretty quickly).

Right now I have the following code in an activity:

Gallery gal = new Gallery(ctx);
                        gal.setLayoutParams(new
LayoutParams(LayoutParams.FILL_PARENT,
LayoutParams.WRAP_CONTENT));
                        gal.setAdapter(new HomeGalImgAdapter(ctx));
                        gal.setHorizontalFadingEdgeEnabled(true);
                        gal.setSpacing(0);
                        gal.setClickable(true);
                        gal.setFocusable(true);
//                      gal.setUnselectedAlpha(0.5f);
                        topPanel.addView(gal);

Along with this image adapter class:

public class HomeGalImgAdapter extends BaseAdapter {
        private Context myContext;

        private int[] myImageIds = {
                        R.drawable.test128_add_to_folder,
                        R.drawable.test128_calendar,
                        R.drawable.test128_chart_pie,
                        R.drawable.test128_clock,
                        R.drawable.test128_comments
        };
        public HomeGalImgAdapter(Context c) { this.myContext = c; }
        public int getCount() { return this.myImageIds.length; }
        public Object getItem(int position) { return position; }
        public long getItemId(int position) { return position; }

        public View getView(int position, View convertView, ViewGroup parent)
{
                ImageView i = new ImageView(this.myContext);

                i.setImageResource(this.myImageIds[position]);
                /* Image should be scaled as width/height are set. */
                i.setScaleType(ImageView.ScaleType.FIT_XY);
                /* Set the Width/Height of the ImageView. */
                i.setLayoutParams(new Gallery.LayoutParams(96, 96));
                return i;
        }
        }

This works perfectly, and the gallery displays with a bunch of other
content. How do I implement your suggestion to have the not-in-focus
images be scaled smaller?

Also, I am trying to figure out how to set a TextView to act as a
caption whenever the picture changes focus, but at the moment as soon
as I start scrolling through the gallery and the first image loses
focus I am unable to get another image to take focus. Still trying to
figure that one out...

Thanks for your help!