I don't agree that changing the in call screen/incoming call screen/
outgoing call screen should be only available to handset manufacturers/
operators. A phone could do SO much more when applications could
somehow hook into these screens (or even control the voice streams).

Imagine an application that could show the name of an unknown caller
based on data gathered from the Internet.
Or an application that displays additional call information while the
call is in progress (eg call length/cost/quality/voice equalizer).
Or an application that let's you choose between a normal call or a
VoIP call when you press the green dial button when selecting a
contact from the "native" phone book.
Or an application that can change the actual voice stream that is
transmitted - so you could add effects such as high/low pitch etc to
your outgoing call.

There are many more fun/useful applications that could benefit from
this openness of the OS. Of course there are security concerns but
still..

For a regular user a call would work like a call and it would be sort
of like a call but for "advanced" users who download these
applications (and click on thousands of security warnings when
installing the app) the phone would be so much more than the phones
that are on the market today.

Just my 2 cents..