Initially, after accessing the db, I did a count (via creating a
cursor, doing a rawquery, and checking thte count) of the table and it
contained records like it was supposed to.  However, doing this seemed
cumbersome compared to the more elegant solution of using the features
of onCreate()... but since onCreate behaves differently, I guess I
will go back the other way.

thanks,
Jim