I am writing an app that would look for other services (each in its
own apk) installed on the phone and would start them. To achieve this,
I was thinking of listing the /data/app directory and find the name of
the installed APKs and start them as a service using StartService
function with the name of the APKs as the intent.

When I try to list the data/app directory the list comes out to be
empty. Probably it is the security issue and the application is not
allowed to list this directory. Is there any other way I could achieve
what I am trying to do?

I don't want to specify the names of all the services to start in the
activity trying to start these services so that I can install any
additional service to be started later on without modifyng the main
activity.

Could I achieve this uisng intent filters somehow?

Thanks,
-Anshul