I can't speak to the actual hardware, being a curious developer like
yourself, but I have been playing with the OpenIntents simulator.  The
simulator seems to adhere to the sensor output spec that Justin
referred to.  Regarding your question about whether the orientation
sensor axis are the same as those for the accelerometer, they do not
seem to be.  The orientation sensor axis are the standard aviation
axis (see Wikipedia on "Flight Dynamics") while the accelerometer
measurements are based on a different coordinate system.

Here is the conversion based after playing around with the simulator a
little (where a denotes accelerometer axis and o denotes orienation
axis):
Xa = Yo
Ya = Xo
Za = -Zo