> How are the Android developers worldwide handling this issue?

I'm just testing in the emulator, hoping for the best (I'm in Europe).
However, even in 1.0 r1 there are unspecified and unimplemented camera
issues, such that for instance I have to hard-code the T-Mobile G1
camera resolution (2048 x 1536), which will no longer make sense once
other Android phones hit the market.