Google will release the source code soon. Can we build the source code
and load the image into the phone? I guess not... otherwise, how
google and wireless carriers can control the phone? Just read the news
that google have a backdoor in the phone so they can uninstall an app
if they don't like it.

But as a developer, I do want to do anything which is possible. For
example: communicate with the Qualcomm cellar chip to provide better
phone experince, or capture the screen image..., or develop a video
telephony stack etc. All these need to access to the native system, or
even modify the driver...

At this point, I would say Windows Mobile is a more open system, since
I can make native app or even create a new device driver...

Zen