Pardon me.  I mixed up the order of the words "speech" and "text".
When you asked about "speech to text", I thought of "text to
speech" ... perhaps because there is a class named TextToSpeech.
However, I now realize you were asking about voice input (or voice
recognition).
I haven't tried connecting to Google's voice recognition server other
than through cellular or WIFI connections.