In theory. In reality, there's that customer/user who wants to use an
app, like now, and that developer who wants to support this, and a
slew of other users who just walked out of that <fill in carrier>
store with that <fill in device>. Lab days, loaners are all just
compromises to actually having a device available. Meetups (which I
frequent when I can) also go down differently (today). A few months
back I did a roundabout call over pre-meetup pizza just to find out...
I "needed" to test on a China borne Milestone (they have some location
issue), but noone around even knew, or strangely enough, was
interested to hear about it. A closer look, and almost noone had
anything other than G1's and Droids and seemed to just about be
"getting into Android".